Read about the good work already being done by residents, businesses, and organizations to make a more Sustainable DC!
District Sustainability Awards
Each year, the District Sustainability Awards highlight businesses, individuals, and organizations that are working towards a more sustainable DC. Awardees’ projects and programs support the Mayor’s Sustainable DC Plan and include actions taken in energy and water conservation, pollution prevention or reduction, resource conservation, low impact development, stormwater management, green building construction and operation, sustainability initiatives, innovative technology, green products or services, recycling/composting, environmental leadership, environmental education, and employee commitment. For more information on the program, please visit the District Sustainability Awards site.
If you have questions, contact Mary Lynn Wilhere at firstname.lastname@example.org or (202) 535-1939.
2016 DISTRICT SUSTAINABILITY AWARD WINNERS
In a ceremony at the Embassy of Finland, Department of Energy and Environment (DOEE) Director, Tommy Wells presented the 2016 District Sustainability Awards to recognize outstanding achievements and leadership in sustainability. The honorees support the goals of the District’s sustainability plan, Sustainable DC, in areas such as energy and water conservation, renewable energy production, healthy food access, stormwater management, green jobs development, and sustainable waste management.
This year, DOEE added two new categories: The People’s Choice Award and the PowerDown DC Award. The People’s Choice Award category was open to the public to cast their vote for the most sustainable entity from a ballot of nominees. The PowerDown DC Award goes to the buildings with the greatest reductions of energy and water usage within the PowerDown DC Challenge.
- American University– People’s Choice Award
- Atlas Brew Works
- Compost Cab
- GRID Alternatives Mid-Atlantic
- Historic Congressional Cemetery
- SuperFd Catering and Eco Caters DC
- DC Housing Authority and Avalon Bay– PowerDown DC Award
Reaching the ambitious goals of the Sustainable DC Plan will take the work of the entire District community. Fortunately, in DC, there is no shortage of community champions working hard to make their businesses, neighborhoods—and our city as a whole—more sustainable. Whether it be neighborhood solar purchasing, church tree plantings, block party trash clean-ups, school gardens, and small business energy efficiency improvements, these heroes show us what’s possible and encourage others to take action as well.
2015 District Sustainability Award Winners
- The Farragut Building — Generali Real Estate and Cushman & Wakefield
- Mess Hall
- College of Agriculture, Urban Sustainability and Environmental Science (CAUSES), University of the District of Columbia (UDC)
2014 District Sustainability Award Winners
- City Blossoms
- Founding Farmers DC
- Fulya Kocak, Clark Construction Group
- Solar Solutions LLC
- Jimmy Edgerton – 2 Armadillos
2013 District Sustainability Award Winners
- Children’s National Medical Center
- Commissioner Robert A. Jordan 7B06
- CoStar Group, Inc.
- Dumbarton House, The National Society of The Colonial Dames of America
- Meredith Sheperd, Love & Carrots
- Mundo Verde Bilingual Public Charter School
- The Tower Companies
- Washington Gas Energy Services, Inc.
2012 District Sustainability Award Winners
- Andrea Northup
- Cassidy Turley
- DowntownDC Business Improvement District
- Ethan Landis, Principal, Landis Construction Corporation
- FARMFRESH Markets
- Habitat for Humanity of Washington DC
- Monaco Washington DC
- Sol Systems, LLC
- Urbana Restaurant & Wine Bar
Previous year award winners can be found here.